Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Degrees of Freedom

Degree of freedom:
any of a limited number of ways in which a body may move or in which a dynamic system may change

Relationship:
the relation connecting or binding participants in a relationship: as a : KINSHIP b : a specific instance or type of kinship
Credits: www.m-w.com


Relationship is probably a word that exists at all levels;living and non-living. I seem to have a relationship to my bed, my car, my work place, and with my wife, my parents, my relatives, my pet and everything in between my city, the air, the water.

What is the need to associate? From the moment we are born, we get associated, many a time unconsciously. Is it necessary for me to have a relationship with my parents? Why? In any era, those are not questions well appreciated. Can i just take my parents to be two people, who brought me into existence and nothing more? I guess not. But, are these choices that I made or I choose to accept:- is my question?

I find it interesting that almost all relationships in these above cases i mention are all restrictive. Every relationship comes with its own set of rules, binds and duties. It is as if to constantly seek to categorize everything around us and define rules for it. This is what i can be with my "best" friend, this is who i should be with my boss, this is how i should behave at the mall. Unfortunately, this extends to the god and the altar as well. It is almost impossible to misbehave with him or her.Fear and prejudice guide our associations.

We all seek to remain true to our identities, develop a niche for ourselves. I ask, how can you be different when you are already bound by these rules? We are social animals. I agree we have to coexist in a cohesive fashion, does that also mean agree to these bounds?

You may question? What would you like a relationship to be? I guess everything that it is not right now, undefined. But, is that possible? I will be motivated to give it a form sooner or later, as a friend, sibling, wife, father like or my favorite seat, car, season etc.

Our lives in their present form are attributed to the relationships we have had, parents that gave birth, spouses, siblings, friends we have made, kids we have had, houses we live in, cities that protect us. Can I redefine them?

Probably Not, Can I realize my degrees of freedom with each of these relationship...definately.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home